Once you’ve made a pesto, it’s pretty difficult to purchase store-bought. This Basil Pesto recipe takes just minutes to whip together, but you’ll want a mini food processor or blender on hand to keep it quick and simple. With a heaping bunch of fresh basil leaves, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, parmesan cheese and lemon zest, this savory, crave-worthy pesto adds delectable flavor to pasta, meats, roast vegetables – even garlic bread! Try adding a few dollops to this delectable One-Pot Mediterranean Chicken dish or a bowl of Greek Style Roasted Vegetables.
Many pesto recipes and prepared pestos don’t include lemon zest; however, I think it brings such a bright balance to the rich flavors of basil, pumpkin seeds and cheese. (I like to add a few crushed red pepper flakes for spice as well.)
Please give this recipe a try and share your thoughts in the comments. Don’t forget to share your beautiful pics and tag me on Instagram (@coachedbyjan)
- 1 food processor Substitute blender
- 2 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted (substitute almonds or pumpkin seeds)
- 2 garlic cloves halved
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for texture/smoothness
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse/process, adding more oil, until desired consistency is achieved.