This globally-inspired Harissa Coconut Chicken dish is marinaded in coconut milk that has been infused with ginger, fish sauce, sweet honey, and the earthy yet vibrant Moroccan flavors of Harissa seasoning. It tastes as delicious as it sounds! Garnish with a bit of cilantro and serve over Lime Cilantro Rice and a crisp side salad, or roasted vegetables.
Gluten-free and dairy-free, this dish takes minimal time and effort to prepare. However, I suggest you prepare the marinade in advance (it takes a few short minutes to whisk together), and marinate the chicken overnight in your fridge.
You cannot go wrong with this recipe, as the deep flavors in the marinade are downright decadent! It’s why we recommend you marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours – or overnight. Let that Moroccan goodness sink in! Keep it in your rotation for busy days and evenings when there’s little time or desire for spending in the kitchen.
Try serving Harissa Coconut Chicken with Lime-Cilantro Rice or these Mediterranean-Style Roasted Vegetables. (Just omit the cheese in the roasted veggies recipe to maintain a dairy-free meal.)
Please leave your comments on this recipe right here. Don’t forget to share your yummy pics with friends and followers on Instagram and tag me at @coachedbyjan. I love seeing your creations from the recipes I share with you!
DESTINATION: Nourished for Busy Lives
Eliminate the time, frustration, and stress of planning your weekly meals! DESTINATION: Nourished meal plans are customized to your eating style and preferences, food allergies or sensitivities, and to your busy schedule — starting at 98¢ per meal. (Most meals are ready to eat in under 30 minutes.)
Harissa Coconut Chicken
- 3/4 cup Coconut Milk Full-fat, stirred well to blend
- 2-1/2 tbsp Harissa Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp Honey
- 2 tsp Fresh Ginger Grated
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1-1/2 lb Chicken Thighs or Breasts Boneless/skinless
- 1 Lime Cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup Cilantro Roughly chopped, divided
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, Harissa, fish sauce, honey, grated ginger, and sea salt. Transfer marinade to a large ziplock bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag and massage the chicken to evenly coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours for optimum flavor.
- About 30 minutes before cooking, remove the bag of marinated chicken from the refrigerator and start to bring it to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 365F. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a baking dish with olive oil.
- Transfer chicken and a little of the marinade to the prepared baking dish and arrange in a single layer. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F. Tent with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges, and enjoy.