What better way showcase and devour the seasonal bounty of spring and summer than in a salad of mixed greens with berries? This divinely delicious salad features sweet, juicy strawberries, tart blueberries, and succulent blackberries nestled in a bed of mixed greens and drizzled with a bright lemon-poppyseed vinaigrette that takes literally minutes to make. Garnish with toasted almonds, fresh mint, creamy avocado and tangy Feta, and it will become a go-to salad all season long. I promise your tastebuds will still be singing operatic melodies long after you’ve licked the bowl clean!
You certainly don’t have to toast the almonds in this recipe, but doing so will add another layer of flavor to your salad. I also prefer the trio of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, but any berries will work here. So use what you have on hand.
This salad of mixed greens with berries and lemon vinaigrette is magnificent when paired with savory grilled prawns or salmon. But it’ll also compliment chicken, burgers, and grilled lamb. (In fact, it may just steal the show 😉
PS: If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, you can go ahead and check tomorrow’s lunch off your to-do list.
Looking for salad as a main dish? Try whipping together this Avocado-Chicken Caesar Salad. If you have roasted chicken on hand, it’s a brilliant meal on a toasty summer day when the last thing you want to do is fire up a grill, oven or stove!
How does some strategic help with your meal planning sound? Download this FREE 5-Day Mediterranean-Style Meal Plan and cut the time, frustration and stress from next week’s meals.
Mixed Green Salad with Berries & Lemon Vinaigrette
- 12 oz Mixed Spring Greens
- 8 oz Strawberries Hulled and sliced
- 4 oz Blackberries Halved lengthwise
- 4 oz Blueberries
- 1 cup Slivered Almonds
- 4 oz Feta Cheese Substitute Goat Cheese
- 1 Avocado Sliced or diced
- 2 tbsp Mint Leaves Minced (4-5 large leaves)
- 1/3 cup Avocado Oil Substitute Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice Fresh
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Toast the almonds: Adjust a rack to the center of your oven and preheat to 350F. Spread slivered almonds in an even layer on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes, or until fragrant and light brown. Set aside and cool to room temperature. Alternately, add almonds in single layer to a skillet set over medium heat, tossing frequently until almonds are lightly toasted, 4-5 minutes.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk together the avocado oil, lemon juice, zest, honey, sea salt, pepper, and poppy seeds. Transfer to a mason jar or carafe fitted with a lid and set aside. (Can be made 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. Let dressing sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes and shake well before using.)
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, add the mixed greens, berries, toasted almonds, mint, and crumbled Feta cheese. Just before serving, gently toss the salad with some of the lemon-poppyseed vinaigrette until ingredients are evenly coated. (Add dressing sparingly to avoid over-saturating.) Add more vinaigrette in 1 tbsp increments until desired flavor and texture is achieved.