Any time I hear one pot, you have my attention! This girl is all about conserving dishes, pans, and utensils while cooking — after all it’s difficult enough at times to channel enough energy to figure out what to cook for dinner and then follow through with it, right?!
I’m also a staunch proponent of the Mediterranean-Style Eating Plan. Some folks call it a diet but that’s a four-letter word to me. Any ‘diet’ that has successfully endured for over 5,000 years is not a diet — it’s an authentic, badass lifestyle! (BTW, the Mediterranean-Style Eating Plan also logged the #1 spot in the 2023 US News & World Report’s Annual Best Diets Overall list for the sixth year in a row.)
So in keeping with the classic ingredients associated with Mediterranean-style eating, I’ve created a luscious, crave-worthy chicken dish that hits all the marks with lemon, tomatoes, artichokes, olives, and a house-made Basil Pesto. And it’s all in one pot! Rest assured, the only things you’ll be cleaning up are the pot, plates and silverware. (There’s nary a chance for leftovers with this one 😉
Please give this One-Pot Mediterranean Chicken recipe a try, then share your beautiful pics and tag me on Instagram (@coachedbyjan).
BTW: I prefer to make basil pesto vs. purchasing it. Pesto is incredibly easy to whip together, and as with most other dishes, homemade can eliminate the use of preservatives and reduce the amount of sodium over store-bought versions. Plus that basil is FRESH! Check out my Basil Pesto recipe here and give it a try 😉
One-Pot Mediterranean Chicken
- 1-1/4 lb chicken thighs Substitute breast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 yellow onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1 lb baby potatoes halved
- 2 lemons quartered
- 1 cup artichoke hearts in oil quartered
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, unsalted optional
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Lightly coat an 8"x12" baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil and set aside.
- Season top and bottom of chicken thighs with sea salt and black pepper and arrange skin-side up (if using) in the baking dish
- In a large bowl, toss the onion wedges, potatoes, lemon, cherry tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil and a dash of sea salt and black pepper, and toss well to coat the veggies. Transfer vegetables to the baking dish with chicken and spread them evenly throughout the dish.
- Roast in the preheated oven until chicken is cooked through (160 degrees) and onions and potatoes are softened and beginning to brown, about 30 minutes. (About halfway through the cooking process spoon some of the pan juices over the chicken and resume roasting.)
- Remove from oven and let the dish cool for 8-10 minutes. While cooling, top each thigh with a dollop of basil pesto. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds, if using, over the dish and ENJOY!